Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thrift - The Cheapest Way to Sustainability

Let's face it - Things cost a lot these days. It seems that we just work to pay the bills with not much left over. When we do start making more, we seem to spend more as well. The cycle never ends. I try to stay within a budget for everything, but it can be difficult when most organic products and food cost so much more than conventional.

I am not ashamed to tell you that the bulk of my closet is actually from thrift or consignment stores. Yes, I am a "second hand Rose". I buy used clothing. I have my favorite pieces that may or may not be purchased new. I have found many great items for $10 or less, unheard of in the world of organic clothing. Sustainable isn't just about organic, it is about where the item comes from, what it is made out of, and if it has a second life. In the case of thrift, I check what the items are made out of as well as if they are still trendy. But for me, they do not need to be organic if I am buying second hand. I am giving an item new life, and not supporting the company that made the item. I am supporting a business that reuses, repurposes, and recycles. That is green in my book. Plus, I spend a fraction of the cost of new organic goods. Don't get me wrong, many times the new organic clothing is worth the price, I just can't always pay that price. So before you go buy that new organic sweater you have been eyeing, go to the local thrift or consignment store to see what you can find first. You may be surprised! You can find used clothing at:

Garage Sales
Estate Sales
Flea Markets
Antique Shops
Consignment Stores
Thrift Stores
Online Thrift Stores
Ebay

Did I miss any?

















photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimcorealty/9558199036/">Kimco Realty</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">cc</a>



No comments:

Post a Comment